An atheist speaks out.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Bless you?

I have been swaying back and forth lately between saying "Bless you" and not saying "Bless you" when people around me sneeze. I NEVER say "God bless you" of course...that would be stupid.

Since I am currently working toward my teacher certification and Masters degree, I have been thinking about how things will be when I can a teacher. I certainly can't say "Bless you" sometimes and not say it other times, or students might think I am playing favorites.

I think the responsible thing for me to do as an atheist is to stop saying anything, but I am afraid people will find this to be rude. We need to come up with a new, secular phrase to use when people sneeze. Sometimes I tell people "Shut Up!" when they sneeze, but that's just plain mean.

9 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

What about gesundheit?

8:31 PM

 
Blogger Joanna said...

I say gesudheit too. there's also salude/salute (Spanish/Italian "health") It's still supersticious as hell, but it's become a social pleasantry, so I just go with it.
I prefer You're SOOO good looking, but maybe not in the class room.

8:08 AM

 
Blogger jdk said...

Perhaps I will use gesundheit in the classroom, and "you're SOOO good looking" with friends. That'll put a smile on their face if they get the reference.

10:50 AM

 
Blogger C. L. Hanson said...

That's so funny -- I was about to suggest "you're SOOO good looking" too. It's probably safe since apparently everyone knows the reference.

Also remember that when someone burps you're supposed to say "Better out than in I always say, eh Fiona?" That's what I've taught my kids. That's why I'm a bad mom...

12:37 PM

 
Blogger Mikayla Starstuff said...

I just say 'bless you'. It's a bit silly considering that the tradition started with the odd beleif that a person actually expelled their soul from their body when they sneezed...thus requiring a blessing to get their soul back. LOL
But I say it anyway just cause it's considered polite and doesn't really mean anything more than that any more.

7:56 PM

 
Blogger Baconeater said...

I don't say anything, and I feel awkward about saying nothing.
How about
"thanks for not getting any of your nose spray on me"

or

"maybe you should go home"

or if at home

"maybe you should go to bed"

other ones

"hay fever?"

"you don't look sick"

6:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to say bless you when people break wind, and then I make the sign of the cross over them.

3:21 PM

 
Blogger mothpete said...

As a school teacher I get a lot of kids sneezing all over me all the time, plus late night marking and preparing work. I get sick a LOT.

I should be saying 'god bless me' when the kids sneeze.

3:42 AM

 
Blogger mothpete said...

As a school teacher I get a lot of kids sneezing all over me all the time, plus late night marking and preparing work. I get sick a LOT.

I should be saying 'god bless me' when the kids sneeze.

3:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home