An atheist speaks out.

Monday, February 19, 2007

Brownie Points

So I don't believe in god, that should be obvious, but just in case He does exist it's nice to know that I have some brownie points...well, maybe.

Bri and I were in Philadelphia, and when we returned to our hotel from the play I dropped her off a the door and parked the car. As I was leaving my car, I saw an older, larger gentlemen with a cane having some trouble getting over a mound of ice/snow. I offered to give him a hand and I helped him over the mound and across a sheet of ice leading up to his car.

I guess I was in a really good mood, because I also offered to help him get all the ice off his car (it was an SUV actually, which was definitely necessary since it was just him). As I reached into his SUV to get the ice scraper he said to me, "You're gonna get something out of this, you know." And I'm thinking, "Oh my god(lol), what have I gotten myself into?" but I said, "Oh yeah?" He said, "I don't know if you're a Protestant boy or a Catholic boy." I told him that my family is Catholic and he said to me, "Well I'm a Catholic priest."

Of course the first thing I think is that I might get molested, which I chuckle at inside, but I helped him clean off his SUV and made sure he could climb up into it (an SUV is a great idea for someone who can't walk great) and I went on my way.

I would like to think that I get some points for being a good samaritan regardless of this guy's status as a priest, but if the Catholics are right then I just scored some major points.

Just an afterthought: It is interesting that an atheist, with no moral code, would go out of his way to help someone at night in the freezing cold. Just goes to show that not all atheists are depraved heathens...some of us are just heathens.

2 Comments:

Blogger King Aardvark said...

That's a great story. Unfortunately, since you're a heathen, you're going straight to hell anyway.

7:57 AM

 
Blogger Isherwood said...

I wish you'd have mentioned that you were atheist. We can use all the positive press we can get.

9:54 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home